With all the attention on COVID-19, it would be easy to forget about the flu and how serious an illness it can be. As with COVID-19, vaccination is our best protection against the sometimes deadly flu virus.
Flu shots are recommended for nearly everyone over 6 months of age. Pregnant women, young children, older adults, and people with chronic medical conditions especially should get vaccinated against the flu.
Hereford Health Clinic makes it easy for you to get your flu shot. No appointment is necessary. Just walk-in! We’re here Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
If you have insurance, please bring proof of coverage. For uninsured/self-pay patients, the cost is:
- High dose flu shot for those considered high risk or 65 and older: $57.60 paid at the time of service
- Regular dose flu shot for age 6 months and older: $50.40 paid at the time of service.
Important facts to know about the annual flu shot:
- The COVID-19 vaccines are different from the flu vaccine. The flu vaccine cannot protect you from COVID-19, and the COVID-19 vaccine cannot protect you from the flu. You need both!
- To maximize your protection, get a flu shot before the end of October. But, a flu shot is useful even if you miss that timeline.
- Flu vaccines cannot give you the flu.
- A flu shot is needed each year because the flu virus mutates, or changes.
- It takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop to protect you from the flu.
- Flu vaccines are safe and effective. An annual flu shot typically reduces the risk of getting sick with the flu by between 40% and 60%.
More information on the flu shot is available from GetMyFluShot.org.