Hereford Regional Medical Center (HRMC) is a full service rural health care facility operated by the Deaf Smith County Hospital District. HRMC is governed by an elected board of directors and licensed by the Texas Department of State Health Services. HRMC has been in operation since 1924 and is a member of the Texas Organization of Rural and Community Hospitals and the Coalition of Health Services.
To improve the health and quality of life of the individuals and communities we serve.
“The Legacy of Progress”
The story of progress starts with a lady by the name of Mrs. A.D. Godwin. Mrs. Godwin became a nurse by trade standing and studying next to her husband who was a doctor. In the early 1900s, the closest hospital was Amarillo. The only way to get there was on a train or through dirt roads that were often muddy. Whatever the case, a trip to the hospital was not always feasible. Mrs. Godwin often practiced emergency medicine in her own home with her husband. Because of the commonality of the situation, by 1914 she converted her home into a small hospital which could house four patients at a time. Later she moved to 118 Bradley Street. This move allowed for a bigger patient base. Five to thirteen patients could be cared for at the new place.
In 1921, Deaf Smith General Hospital opened its doors for the very first time to serve its beloved residents. It birthed out of the old Carl Hotel on West Second Street. The hotel would be converted into the public hospital that would accommodate 21 beds.
By 1924, members of the community had searched for a more suitable building. They failed in finding such place. This led to the approval of a bond issue that would provide for a two-story building on East Third Street, and was still the home to Deaf Smith County’s hospital until December 7, 2011.
The team at Hereford Regional continued the legacy of progress laid before them by building a 80,500 square foot replacement hospital. In the fall of 2009, Deaf Smith County residents once again granted the approval for the sale of $28,000,000 General Obligation Bonds. The sale of these bonds enabled the retirement of an aging facility on East Third Street and the erection of a brand new facility located at West Fifteenth Street next to a new clinic.
HRMC broke ground on May 4, 2009. Approximately 200 people showed up for an exciting ceremony to begin the work of the brand new $28 million facility. Fifteen honorary shovel bearers broke into the dirt on that day. They included: Dr. Layne Barnes, Dr. H.R. Johnson, Dr. John Gregg, Dr. Stenneth Adams, Dr. Akinyele Lovelace, Carolyn Jansa WHNP, Carmen Flood FNP, Dr. A.T. Mimms, Dr. Earl Chase, Gayle Cotton, Kari Valdez, Major Diego Barela, Dr. Jay Akin, Daleine Springer, Joe Henry, and CEO Nathan Flood. With smiles on their faces and excitement in the air the legacy continued.
By Dee Salinas